Sign up for a 'free' member account:
Find out more
To find our more, why not watch our video »
Website last updated: 28 Sep, 2014 @ 13:25
Bletchley Town first formed in 1914 as Bletchley Sports, Playing their first game at a ground in Duncombe Street. Reformed after the 1914/18 war, when the name was changed to Bletchley Sports Club, another change of name at the start of the 1930/31 season, when the familiar name to Bletchley Town Sports, the club nicknamed "The Gladiators" has progressed a long way since then.
As juniors they joined the local North Bucks League and after two years obtained entry to the South Midlands League, where in the third season they won the league championship. It was also about this time they moved to Manor Fields after playing all their earlier games at Bletchley Park.
Having gained senior status in the early fifties they were admitted to the Spartan League clinching the league title at their first attempt. They then followed a period where as well as deciding to change their name several times, they also changed leagues repeatedly.
In a quick succession of names like Bletchley & Wipac F.C , Bletchley Town F.C again were used and then following the amalgamation of the two most senior clubs in the district, Bletchley Town United was adopted whilst membership of the South Midlands, Hellenic and again the Spartan League came and went.
At the start of the sixties having been admitted to the United Counties League they turned Semi-Professional. During this time they reached the forth-qualifying round of the F.A Cup in successive years and it finally culminated in the winning of the United Counties League Cup. In fact in their eight seasons as members of the United Counties League, they appeared in no more fewer than five league cups and won it twice.
After a short spell in the now defunct Metropolitan League they were finally elected to the Southern League in 1971/72 and in the nine seasons they had only gained a modicum amount of success.
At the commencement of the 1974/75 seasons they changed their name yet again to Milton Keynes City F.C. In 1979/80 they gained the rewards that were long overdue by having their best ever season in the Southern League and also making their first appearance in the County Cup Final winning 2-0. Last known season in 84/85.
Then the newly formed Bletchley Town F.C re-appeared in 2005 started by the current Chairman John Snead Nicknaming them "The Moles" they entered the North Bucks League, staying in this league until the end of 2007/08 when they applied for entry into the Spartan South Midland League season 2008/09, where they entered two teams one into Division Two and the other into the Reserve Division two. They then started back playing at Manor Fields for the start of 2010/11 season and are improving season by season. And now have reverted back to the original Nickname "The Gladiators".